Los Angeles is a trend-setting global metropolis with an extraordinary history and a rich cultural heritage. It’s known as the Entertainment Capital of the World and is home to renowned museums, along with 75 miles of sunny coastline.
Cambria El Segundo LAX (Beach Cities)
– Choice Hotels International's upscale Cambria badge will enter the Los Angeles area with the opening of Cambria El Segundo LAX. Slated to open October 2016, the hotel will be developed by Fillmore Hospitality and feature 152 rooms and a bistro called Social Circle. The hotel will be located about two miles south of Los Angeles International Airport. www.fillmorehospitality.com/hotels
Dazzler The Clark (Downtown)
– Esplendor Boutique hotels will debut the 347-room Dazzler The Clark in early 2016 just north of Pershing Square in Downtown L.A. The 11-story renovated 113-year-old historic building will feature guest rooms with lively Mod-style details, a ballroom, a pool deck and multiple dining spaces. www.dazzlerhoteles.com
Dream Hollywood Hotel (Hollywood)
– The West Coast's first Dream Hotel will debut in the heart of Hollywood on Selma and Cahuenga in April 2016.Designed by the award winning Rockwell Group, the 10-story boutique luxury Dream Hollywood Hotel will feature 182 hyper-chic rooms and suites, unique-to-market dining experiences and a rooftop pool and lounge. www.dreamhotels.com
Esplendor Trinity Hotel (Downtown)
– In April 2016, the Esplendor Trinity Hotel will debut from Esplendor Boutique Hotels. The 1914 fully resorted historic building boasting 183 rooms, the historic Trinity Auditorium, a stunning ballroom, a rooftop pool deck and a restaurant/bar with outdoor patio. www.esplendorhoteles.com
Freehand Hotel and Hostel (Downtown)
– Sydell Group will introduce the Freehand Hotel and Hostel in October 2016 after transforming the 1924 Commercial Exchange Building in Downtown L.A.'s Historic Core. The 13-story building will boast 200 rooms, ranging from traditional accommodations to high-design hostels (or “poshtels”) with up to eight beds. The hotel will also feature a lobby living room, retail, restaurant and bar offerings in addition to a rooftop pool and lounge. www.thefreehand.com
Hotel Indigo Downtown Los Angeles (Downtown)
– InterContinental Hotels Group will debut Hotel Indigo Downtown Los Angeles, a hip 350-room hotel in December 2016. The 18-story Hotel Indigo will be the flagship hotel at Metropolis, a $1 billion mixed-use development, which will feature three residential towers and a curated retail experience. The property will sit at the heart of Downtown L.A., linking the Financial District to L.A. LIVE. Design for the hotel will be inspired by its surrounding neighborhood and will focus on prominent narratives from Downtown's past including Fiesta De Las Flores, the glamorous pre-Hollywood nightlife scene and the underground speakeasies of the roaring twenties. www.ihg.com/hotelindigo
The James Hotel Los Angeles (West Hollywood)
– The James Hotel brand will arrive to the Los Angeles area in December 2016, where it will be situated in the heart of the iconic Sunset Strip at the southeast corner of Sunset and La Cienega Boulevards in West Hollywood. The James Los Angeles – West Hollywood will be the first new, built from the groundup hotel in the area in approximately 30 years, and will be comprised of two 10-story towers with 286 rooms, two restaurants, rooftop and lobby bars and approximately 10,000 square feet of meeting space. www.jameshotels.com/los-angeles
AIRPORT / AIR SERVICE
Aer Lingus (LAX) –
The airline will launch Airbus 330 direct service from Dublin (DUB) to Los Angeles (LAX) five times weekly (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday) on May 4, 2016.
American Airlines (LAX)
– The airline will launch Boeing 787 direct service from Haneda (HND) to Los Angeles (LAX) daily, beginning February 11, 2016.
Hainan (LAX) –
The airline recently launched Boeing 787 direct service from Changsha (CSX) to Los Angeles (LAX), twice weekly (Monday and Thursday).
Interjet (LAX) –
The airline will launch Airbus 320 direct service from Guadalajara to Los Angeles (LAX) daily, beginning February 18, 2016.
Philippine Airlines (LAX) – The airline will launch Airbus 340-300 direct service from Cebu to Los Angeles (LAX) three times weekly, beginning March 15, 2016. www.philippineairlines.com
Qatar Airways (LAX) –
The airline recently launched Boeing 777 direct service from Doha (DOH) to Los Angeles (LAX).
SAS (LAX) – The airline will launch Boeing 330-300/Airbus 340-300 (on alternating days) direct service from Stockholm to Los Angeles (LAX) daily, beginning March 14, 2016.
Terminal 2 (LAX) –
On February 2, 2016 LAX unveiled the new Terminal 2. The upgraded terminal features new retail stores and dining establishments that offer a variety of options, from casual to upscale, with an emphasis on local Los Angeles food and beverage offerings.
Terminal 4 Connecter (LAX) –
This $115 million project will open early 2016 and will consist of the design and construction of a multi-use, multi-level facility providing a secure connection between Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) to Terminal 4. Connecting the two terminals will allow passengers easier access to their destination for those needing to reach a connecting flight, with the added convenience of not having to recheck their baggage. www.laxishappening.com
Thomas Cook Airlines (LAX) –
The airline will launch a new seasonal service, two times weekly, from Manchester to Los Angeles (LAX) on May 2, 2016. www.thomascookairlines.com Turkish Airlines (LAX) – The airline will expand service July 11, 2016 from Istanbul (IST) to Los Angeles (LAX), adding four weekly flights to the normal service, making 11 flights weekly.
XL Airways (LAX) –
The airline will launch a new seasonal service from Paris to Los Angeles, three times weekly, from June 1 – August 31, 2016 and two times weekly, from September 1-30, 2016. Beyond October 1, 2016 is TBA.
ARTS & CULTURE Getty Center (Westside)
Cave Temples of Dunhuang: Buddhist Art on China's Silk Road will appear May 7 – September 4, 2016, it will feature numerous objects originally from the site, including paintings and manuscripts that have rarely - if ever - traveled to the United States, as well as three spectacular full-size cave replicas. The exhibition celebrates more than 25 years of collaboration between the Getty Conservation Institute and the Dunhuang Academy to preserve this UNESCO World Heritage Site. www.getty.edu
Getty Center and LACMA (Westside)
– Robert Mapplethorpe (American, 1946–1989) is among the most influential visual artists of the late 20th century. The exhibition will appear March 20 – July 31, 2016. This is the largest retrospective of the artist's work ever—with two simultaneous exhibitions, one at the Getty Center and one at LACMA— which examines the arc of his photographic work from its humble beginnings in the early 1970s to the culture wars of the 1990s. Drawn from the landmark acquisition made in 2011 from the Robert Mapplethorpe Foundation, the exhibition mixes Mapplethorpe's most iconic images with lesser-known photographs. www.getty.edu and www.lacma.org
Hammer Museum (Westside
) – Made in L.A. 2016 is the third in the Hammer Museum's biennial exhibition series focused on artwork created in the Los Angeles region. The exhibition will be on view at the Hammer Museum and will feature over thirty artists with an emphasis on emerging and under-recognized artists. Made in L.A. will debut nearly all new painting, installation, video, sculpture, photography, and performances created specifically for the exhibition, which will be accompanied by a full roster of free public programming. Made in L.A. 2016 will be co-curated by the Hammer's Aram Moshayedi and Hamza Walker of the Renaissance Society and will take place June to September, 2016. www.hammer.ucla.edu
Norton Simon Museum (Pasadena)
– The Norton Simon Museum will present two special exhibitions in 2016. On March 4 – August 29, 2016, Duchamp to Pop, an exhibition that will examine Marcel Duchamp's potent influence on Pop Art and its leading artists, among them Andy Warhol and Ed Ruscha. On October 14, 2016 – February 13, 2017, States of Mind:
Picasso Prints from the Norton Simon Museum
, will draw on the Norton Simon Museum's extraordinary collection of Picasso proofs and prints—one of the deepest in North America—this exhibition traces the evolution of individual compositions from the 1940s and 1950s through multiple states, subtle adjustments and radical revisions. www.nortonsimon.org
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum (Ventura County)
– Vatican Splendors: A Journey Through Faith and Art will appear March 6, 2016 – August 28, 2016. The exclusive West Coast showing of Vatican Splendors is the largest Vatican collection ever to tour the United States and includes an extraordinary collection of historical and religious objects, some of which date to the first century, as well as works of art by Michelangelo, Bernini, Guercino and others. From the opening theater experience where visitors will become immersed in the grandeur of the Vatican, to the closing object of a cast of Saint John Paul II's hand (which guests may grasp), visitors will encounter the art, history and culture of the Vatican with unprecedented access and insight. This special presentation of art and objects includes many never before on display in North America, and some not on view to the general public, even in Rome. www.reaganfoundation.org
Wende Museum & Archives of the Cold War (Culver City)
–The Wende Museum of the Cold War preserves art, culture, and history from Soviet Bloc countries during the Cold War to inspire a broad understanding of the period and explore its enduring legacy. The museum promotes rigorous scholarship and stimulates general interest through its experimental exhibitions, as well as through lectures, symposia, and publications. In early 2017, The Wende Museum will move to its new home at the former Culver City Armory, triple its exhibition galleries and will provide more effective access to its massive collection of artwork, artifacts, archives, films, and personal histories. The Museum's installation of the longest stretch of the original Berlin Wall outside of Germany is on view in front of 5900 Wilshire Boulevard. www.wendemuseum.org
ATTRACTIONS California Science Center (Los Angeles)
Open now until May 2016, Journey to Space: The Exhibition's hands-on exhibits and immersive experiences give you a chance to not only see that amazing technology (including Neil Armstrong's glove), but to try handling some of the challenges of space travel yourself. Take a turn managing the energy of a simulated orbiting space station, operate a robotic arm, and find out how astronauts eat, sleep, and even go to the bathroom in space. See if you have “the right stuff” to deal with the disorienting environment of zero gravity as you step into a rotating chamber, inspired by the International Space Station's Destiny Module, and feel what it's like to be in a place where there is no up and no down. Designed with the help of astronauts and space scientists, Journey to Space: The Exhibition will inspire the astronaut, engineer and scientist in all of us. www.CaliforniaScienceCenter.org
Ford Theatres (Hollywood)
– Located in the Hollywood Hills, the Ford Theatres will present an eclectic summer season of culturally diverse music, dance, theatre, film and family events. Recently named “Best Music Venue” by the LA Weekly, the Ford's intimate 1,200-seat outdoor amphitheater provides a summer-in-LA experience that can't be beat. The Ford is currently undergoing extensive renovations and will reopen summer 2016 with the addition of a picnic terrace and full-service dining options, plus a new stage with lighting and sound upgrades. The 2016 summer season line-up will be announced in April. www.FordTheatres.org
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Sports Arena (Downtown)
– The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum & Sports Arena have had some exciting years in the past but 2016 is sizing up to be yet another one for the record books. In January 2016, the NFL Rams declared their move to Los Angeles to kick-off the 2016 season and the Coliseum as their temporary home. In February, the Coliseum and Exposition Park will welcome Shaun White's Air+Style for the first time featuring music on two stages, snowboarding jumps and more! Finally in March, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will close out their tour at the “Dump That Jumps” for the last rock concert ever in the Sports Arena. The Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena is scheduled for removal in summer 2016. www.lacoliseum.com
Los Angeles Urban Adventures (Los Angeles)
– See the best of L.A. in just a day while getting off the beaten path and discovering the city's lesser known sites. This L.A. overview will give you both landmark icons and secret gems, taking you from Hollywood to Santa Monica, with the Farmers Market and Beverly Hills in between. Explore on foot and by public transit as you ride alongside locals and get a feel for what it really means to live in Los Angeles. Sure, you'll see the Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive, and Venice Beach (can you really come to L.A. and not see them?!), but you'll also visit a hidden garden oasis on Hollywood Boulevard, learn about film and television history at a local media museum, and ride bikes along the Pacific Ocean's famous beach path. www.losangelesurbanadventures.com
Malibu Wine Sailing (Beach Cities)
– New this summer, Malibu Wines will pair their estate wines with sea breezes and ocean views to create Malibu Wine Sailing. They will set sail from postcardperfect Marina Del Rey for a leisurely cruise enjoying SoCal's coastal scenery while savoring a selection of their most popular wines accompanied by delicious, locally sourced small bites. Visit their website for the latest updates and launch date. www.malibusailing.com
Skyspace LA (Downtown)
–California's tallest open-air observation deck and the premiere destination for panoramic, 360-degree views of Los Angeles will open this spring. At its height, Los Angeles residents and visitors are offered a transformative view of its culture, community and people. Visitors to Skyspace LA are guided through a multi-dimensional, interactive experience, featuring unobstructed views, dynamic design and surprise thrills. One of the thrills includes a fully enclosed glass side that is affixed to the side of the building, 1,000 feet above the street from the 70th to 69th floor. Thanks to the natural elements that affect Los Angeles' famous golden light, Skyspace LA will offer an ever-changing experience that allows for discovery again and again. www.skyspace-la.com
Universal Studios Hollywood (Hollywood)
– It's official: “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™” will open at Universal Studios Hollywood on April 7, 2016, marking the highly-anticipated arrival of the West Coast's dynamic new immersive experience, including the introduction of the land's signature ride “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey” in hyper-realistic 3D-HD. More than five years in the making, and inspired by J. K. Rowling's compelling stories and characters that were brought to life in the Warner Bros. films, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” is being masterfully recreated with impeccable detail as a real-world interpretation at Universal Studios Hollywood. “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will be faithful to the visual landscape of the fiction and films, including Hogwarts castle, which will serve as its iconic focal point. www.universalstudioshollywood.com
Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood (Hollywood)
– Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood brings you closer to the entertainment you love. You'll never see Hollywood the same way again as you explore the working sets and actual sound stages where the biggest names in entertainment made history. From The Big Bang Theory to Batman and beyond, the Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood takes you behind-the-camera for a revealing look at the magic of Hollywood. Your knowledgeable tour guide will take you through backlot streets and sound stages. You'll also get to check out Stage 48: Script to Screen, a new interactive sound stage where you can learn about the production process of a film or TV show, sit on the couch at Central Perk on the actual set of Friends, become Hobbit-sized at our forced perspective special effect table, soar above Hogwarts on a broomstick and much more. Make sure to visit The Archive, with two floors of memorabilia, including costumes and props from the Harry Potter and Batman films, and explore the Picture Car Vault, currently featuring all the Batmobiles from the celebrated film series. www.wbstudiotour.com
SHOPPING The Bloc Downtown (Downtown)
– The Bloc is in the final stage of a $180 million transformation from a 1970s-style mall to an open-air urban destination which will offer Angelenos a curated experience of design-oriented, artisanal retailers and restaurateurs. Construction will finish this summer, the flagship property will include a flagship Macy's store, Free Market and Davio's Northern Italian Steakhouse. A state of the art, creative-leaning office building and the glamorously renovated 496-room Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown will also anchor the mixeduse project, making The Bloc a truly vibrant 24-hour hub where Angelenos can work, sleep, shop and eat at any time of the day or night. www.theblocdowntown.com
Westfield Century City Mall (Century City)
– The modernization and beautification of Westfield Century City will create the ultimate L.A. destination for fashion, flavor and relaxation. This idyllic open-air retreat will showcase the world's finest luxury boutiques and favorite on-trend brands, alongside a new flagship Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's and Macy's. Guests will indulge in over 55 eateries serving seasonal and local delights, a new outdoor dining district, and the West Coast's first Eataly featuring authentic Italian flavors and a not-to-be-missed rooftop lounge scene. In between shopping and dining, guests will take in the showcase of local arts and entertainment, or simply relax and unwind under the Southern California sky. Shoppers visiting from near and far will be invited to visit the dedicated Tourist Lounge to meet our concierge, store luggage and receive special savings for traveling shoppers. The new Westfield Century City will open in phases beginning in 2017, but shoppers can continue to enjoy over 40 shops and restaurants open now, including Bloomingdale's, Gucci, Tiffany & Co, Rolex and Meizhou Dongpo. www.westfield.com/centurycity
Catalina Express (Beach Cities)
– In a nod to it's upcoming 35th anniversary, Catalina Express has announced it will launch a new departure schedule beginning on March 11, 2016. Catalina Express' current ferry service has departures from Long Beach, San Pedro and Dana Point to Avalon and Two Harbors. More than 25 million passengers have ridden Catalina Express since it began service 35 years ago.
Metro Expo Line and Gold Line Foothill Extension
(Azusa and Santa Monica) – Exposition Transit Corridor, Phase 2 will extend the Metro Expo Line west to Santa Monica from the Culver City Station, to run along the old Pacific Electric Exposition right-of-way to 4th St. and Colorado Av. in downtown Santa Monica. The 6.6 mile second phase will connect Santa Monica by rail to Downtown LA, Pasadena, San Fernando Valley, South Bay, Long Beach and dozens of points in between. The Expo Line will open in May 22, 2016. The Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension will open on March 5, 2016. The project extends the Gold Line for 11.5 miles from the current Sierra Madre Villa Station in eastern Pasadena to the Azusa/Glendora border.
DISCOVER LOS ANGELES PROGRAMS
L.A. Museum Season (Citywide)
– Discover L.A.'s annual fall museum marketing campaign will return for visitors. Consumers who purchase a minimum of two L.A. hotel room-nights will receive a special voucher for complimentary admission for two at over 20 L.A.-area museums.
L.A. Performs (Citywide)
– L.A. Performs will allow visitors to experience the best of L.A.'s performing arts. In its inaugural year, L.A. Performs takes place February 1 to March 13, 2016. Travelers who book a minimum of two nights in participating Los Angeles hotels via Hotels.com or Priceline.com will receive an electronic voucher that provides promotional codes for two-forone ticket purchase offer at 14 of L.A.'s top performing arts companies.
dineL.A. Restaurant Week (Citywide)
– For its eighth year, dineL.A. Restaurant Week will return for Summer 2016 Restaurant Week from July 18 – 31, 2016. dineL.A. Restaurant Week is a 14day dining event that takes place at over 300 restaurants throughout L.A. county, offering specially priced lunch and dinner menus.
carfreeL.A. (Citywide) – Discover L.A
. has made it easier than ever to experience L.A. without a car. Car Free L.A. features a series of self-guided "car free" vacation itineraries that offer a new way to experience the hidden gems of L.A.'s diverse neighborhoods via foot, bike and Metro. Prefer a guide? Meander along L.A.'s many bike paths with expert car free, tour operators like Bikes and Hikes LA or take a specialized walking tour with Malibu Discovery or Melting Pot Tours. You can also rent a bike from Pedal or Not or Perry's to cruise along L.A.'s beaches. Whether it's culture, coastal attractions, global cuisine, music or architecture, see it all car free.